BAKER’S ACRES LLC.
1890 W. Maumee St.
Angola, IN 46703
This newsletter is available by e-mail. Our objective is to keep you informed of new happenings at Baker’s Acres, monthly specials, helpful information that leads to greater success in the garden, flower power around the home, and to enhance your outdoor experience outside your own back door.
WOW, another crazy winter! Cold during week 1, it hit 60 degrees in week 2 and went back into the freezer in weeks 3 and week 4, and now it is 60 today. Someone told me they tilled their garden up the second week of January in shorts and a tee shirt. I have to admit the Bakers were gone a few weeks in January and came back to single digits and –10-wind chill. What a shock!!
What do we do in January? We plan for spring! It’s not too early to get your seeds for spring in hand, especially those hard to find items and seed starting supplies.
If you are going to change up placement of hanging planters, get your hooks up and look at setting up automatic watering systems to save time and promote plant quality. We have the “do it yourself” Raindrip system is available at Baker’s Acres - stop in for a pamphlet to begin planning now.
In the landscape department, make plans for planting bed changes and new beds now. Planning new projects, getting quotes and getting pictures of completed projects at your site can be done now when time is not at a premium.
Party planning and wedding planning are both good things to do this month when creativity and options are at their highest.
DEBRANDS CHOCOLATES - all your favorites are here! This candy is a great addition to Baker's Acres selection of holiday treats, continuing through May this year. Your Valentine would love to receive these locally made chocolates with their flowers this year for Valentines Day (coming right up on Thursday, February 14th). You can purchase DEBRANDS at the store or we will deliver to a friend or loved one.
In the Greenhouse
Cyclamen are in full bloom. These are a nice plant to put in a window with lots of light and a cool spot, because they are not fond of heat. They make a colorful, inexpensive gift and will bloom until spring.
Our Greenhouse is open year around for all of your indoor and outdoor growing needs. Remember, all those houseplants and plants you are trying to keep from one year to the next need fertilizing, repotting, spraying and pruning. We have everything you need to maintain them over the winter. Just need a “spring fix”? Stop in to smell the freshness of our plants!
Succulents are hugely popular right now. We have a very large selection of small to large succulents for you to make your own planter or we have gorgeous ceramic pottery to plant them into. You can take these outside in the spring and summer and they look fabulous on your patio or table. Talk about easy care, this is it!!!
The hardy Primrose are blooming their little heads off. Put in a sunny window and they will bloom until spring and then you can plant them in your yard for reliable color year after year.
We still have a large selection of Herbs in the store, including Rosemary topiaries. We can cut some for your culinary needs or we have many pots perfect for your kitchen window. Need a unique gift? We can make a mixed planter of herbs for use all winter long.
NEW FOR 2013 IN THE GREENHOUSE AND NURSERY
- This isn’t new, but we in the greenhouse industry are gearing up with heat tolerant and low water use plants for this season. The drought of 2012 will be on many individuals’ minds coming into this season. Those that are concerned about this will choose annual Lantana that comes in 5 colors.
- Vinca flower in 4 colors is the best summer flower in my mind, for full sun. It looks just like an impatien, growing in both trailing and upright varieties and takes full hot sun with ½ the water of most plants. I’m hoping this year our customers will give them a try.
- Another drought tolerant plant is the Solenia series of Begonia. I will grow 3 colors this year and these like the sun. These are a nice accent plant in window boxes and smaller containers.
- New colors added to the Dahlia XL series. A true dark red and a bright yellow have been added for 2013. Last year we sold them in 6” deep pots and a bunch of finished 14” pots. I saw them on many porches and patios and mixed into large combo planters in customer plantings. They were outstanding!!!!!
- Fisher has added some new colors to the Calliope series of geranium. You should recall the Calliope dark red geranium being a fantastic geranium. New this year is burgundy, hot pink and lavender rose. Lavender rose is a good one and in limited supply this year
- The second big change for this year is the disease problems creeping into the impatien industry. This applies to bedding impatiens and certain cutting impatiens also. If you lost the leaves of your impatiens due to disease problems last year, do not plant impatiens in the same beds this year. This disease lasts 3-4 years in the soil. Begonias, torenia, coleus and plectranthus are good substitutions for 2013 for part sun to shady areas. Un affected impatiens are the Fanfare and Sunpatien series. These are sun loving impatiens though and not for shade. Bedding impatiens and cutting types will be fine in hanging baskets and your mixed containers as long as you do not use any old soil and clean your containers thoroughly.
- Brazel Berries is the new buzz this year with container or landscape grown Raspberries perfect for the porch or patio. The plant grows to 2 to 3’ tall and is compact and spherical in growth habit. Fruiting season is mid summer.
All winter we look at our garden catalogs, seed catalogs etc. to prepare for spring. If you are interested in those hard to find items, even trees, shrubs, etc. give us a call now to allow us time to locate these items for you. You can enhance your gardening experience with a little pre-planning.
Straw is available year round for your doghouses and to insulate around those areas you don’t want to freeze.
We are still offering our “Metal Art” animals at 50% off. This sale won’t last into the spring so if you need any gifts or just had your eye on one from last year, now is the time to buy those pieces.
We are also still offering some of our fabulous ceramic pottery at 50% off. Again, this won’t last much longer so stop in and take advantage of this sale!!!!!!!
Winter is the time for planning. If there is a wedding in your future, allow our experienced Floral Designers to assist you. We offer a variety of services (including plant rental) and can accommodate any budget and design.
After getting all your Christmas and fall décor put away, it is time to get the spring things back out. Are yours looking a little tired? Bring them in and we can clean them and refurbish them to look like brand new. Need a new wreath for the front door? We have a nice selection in the flower shop or we can custom make one to your specifications. Come in to see Lisa or Diana to help you.
VALENTINES DAY is right around the corner. Let’s think flowers, blooming plants, balloons and Debrands Chocolates! Plan ahead to avoid the rush and to ensure the best selection. Call Baker’s Acres at 665-5505 for delivery to your special Valentine!
- FTD Expressions of Love Bouquet - A red vase with love in white letters on vase, filled with red roses and white Asiatic lilies and pink mini carnations. Comes in Standard version at $59.99 or extra special at $79.99.
- FTD Lasting Romance Bouquet - A red swirl vase filled with beautiful red roses, pink and white stargazer lilies, accented with salal and Leucadendron. $69.99 and $89.99 for the deluxe version
- Baker’s Acres Knock Your Socks Off Bouquet - Tall vase filled with an impressive display of roses, lilies orchids and carnations. $75.00 and up.
- Baker’s Acres White Basket Special. A white handle basket filled with poms, carnations, statice and a flower seed packet to think spring.
- Mylar Balloon special - 5 V-Day Mylar Balloons and a candy weight for $25.00. Add some Debrands Chocolates or a plush cuddly bear.
We are ordering in many unique and different types of flowers at excellent prices for your Valentine. We have beautiful blooming hyacinths, tulips, mini roses and orchids coming to make your Valentine smile! She will be the hit of the office when your beautiful flower arrangement arrives on Valentines Day!
Nursery and Landscaping
January and February are for planning. Placing orders for trees before March 15 is helpful for Baker’s Acres and your pocket book. We only get one early April order in at the season’s best prices. If you have any large planting intentions, please call Chris at 260-668-2181.
For new installations and fix up projects, I will take pictures of your present landscape or new home and give you complete pictures of finished projects. These pictures can be edited until we have the landscape you want within your budget. Again, I must stress that waiting until spring to do the design work is not suggested. Plan ahead - last season by April 1, we were booked till June 15 for new projects. The schedule already has several new bookings for spring; call today to reserve your spot!
Website and Facebook
THINK SPRING - IT WILL BE HERE BEFORE YOU KNOW IT!!
CHRIS AND LISA